Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Question

"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul." Mark 8:36 (ESV)

       Ambition can be a good thing if it is rooted in the right thing. However, selfish ambition rarely is a good thing, because it is predicated on enhancing one person at the cost of others.

       In this particular passage Jesus is talking to His diciples about what he is about to face. Jesus was about to commit the ultimate selfless act, but He was put off by the selfish ambition of those around Him. He summed up His heart in the passage preceding this one by saying, "For whoever will save his life will lose it, but whoever will lose his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it." (v.35)

       Thinking about you and I, Jesus willingly gave his life. In return, God gave him everything (Phil 2:10). He gained the whole world by this ultimate selfless act. He reasoned to himself, "how could I ask those who follow me to do something I would not do myself." That's what sets Him apart from everyone else, and that is why I willingly lose my life for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment