Friday, September 9, 2011

Work Ethic

"Don't just do what you have to do to get by, but work heartily, as Christ's servants doing what God wants you to do. And work with a smile on your face, always keeping in mind that no matter who happens to be giving the orders, you're really serving God. Good work will get you good pay from the Master, regardless of whether you are slave or free." Ephesians 6: 6-8 (The Message)

      I've been working for a little over 16 years now and I have seen bosses of every sort. I've seen the mean task master, I've seen the micro-manager, I've seen the coach, I've seen the inspirational leader, and so on. What I've realized throughout my time in the workforce is that regardless of who's over you, your work ethic and performance should always be as if you were working for God.

      I know several people who work harder when the boss is present than when he's not around, but in all honesty, God is always around watching what we do, and we should be fully aware that our work should reflect that at all times. I strongly believe that we can set ourselves apart by coming to work with an attitude of contentment and a spirit of joy because that directly translates into performance.

       Paul made this point to servants to show that God is a just rewarder of hard work. As such, we should consistently demonstrate we are children of the King by how we work. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say..."I didn't know they were a Christian?" Shocked and amazed because their work performance didn't reflect their professed lifestyle. It's a sad thing, let us not be those examples, but examples of hard work and contentment because it doesn't get any better than working for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment