Friday, September 16, 2011

Forgiven to Forgive


"For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth. He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west. The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him." Psalm 103:11-13 (NLT)
       I struggle with sin just as much as the next guy. I don't pretend at all to be perfect or someone who rises above the fray on my own merits, because at my core I am still flesh and blood. The difference in my life is that I choose not to be just that. Sure, I could wallow in my frailty as a man and decide that living a life of consecration to God is something monumentally difficult, or, I could accept the grace and mercy He affords as well as His perpetual willingness forgive me, and live a spirit driven life that is a benefit towards everyone around me.
       I've identified a struggle that many of us have... ESPECIALLY when we fall to sin. In our mind we cannot fathom how God forgives us if we ask for forgiveness... much less that he doesn't even remember it. Revelation 8:12-13 state, "And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins.” When God speaks of a “new” covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear."
       The forgiveness of man is clearly stated in black and white, but our human condition causes us to doubt God's word, because we ourselves cannot reason why it is the way it is, because we wouldn't do it that way. Simply put, God's word is eternal and no one can add or take from it. We must understand that the biggest reason we are forgiven is so that we can turn around and share with others not only how to live a forgiven life, but how to forgive as well. Jesus says in Luke 12:48b, "When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required." It stands to reason that if we who were forgiven either chose not to understand and accept our forgiveness then we reject God, similarly if we accept this wonderful gift of mercy and grace and yet do not show our brothers the same we also reject God. Just lay down all of your inhibitions and freely accept a gift you cannot repay, for His love has afforded it to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment