Friday, February 17, 2012

Why shall I fear?

"The Lord is my light and salvation whom shall I fear or dread? The Lord is the refuge and stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1 (AMP)

       I was thinking about Jesus' journey to the cross the other day and I stumbled upon the story of the transfiguration where Moses and Elijah appeared to Jesus. As the story is told in Luke Ch. 9 they are talking about Jesus' upcoming death on the cross and suddenly Peter interferes and ruins the atmosphere of the entire conversation.

      I imagine how Jesus must have felt during this time and how hard a pill it was for him to swallow knowing that very soon he was to face the cross. But then God does something that was perfect for Jesus and the time. He announced once again, "This is my beloved son, hear him..." (Luke 9:33) I say once again because the same word was given to Jesus after his baptism.

       God does this to sustain Jesus, knowing that Jesus is perhaps a bit down at the prospect of what He's about to face. God comes and gives Jesus the word that He is beloved by the Father. Wow. Like Jesus we too face difficulties (though not on the same scale), but what have we to fear if God is our light and salvation? What is God's word over your life? Ephesians 3:20, 2 Corinthians 9:8, Psalm 23:1 are great places to set out hope on. Live satisfied by His word and you'll be equipped to overcome anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment