Monday, July 2, 2012

Move Ahead


"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back." Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message)

       It's rather obvious to say that the only way in life to advance is to move forward, but it seems to me like there are alot people who don't really get that. What do I mean? If I recounted all the people who make their past their reference point I'd be talking for days. The thing that really gets to me is why do they continue to go back there? It's not like there's anything there for them... what's done is done.

       Paul saw the same thing in the people of Philippi. Speaking from experience, he told them the best way for them to be fully effective for the Kingdom is if they started thinking ahead and not behind. If you don't know about Paul's past, you have to understand one critical thing. If anyone could have let their past beat them up it was Paul. After all, he supervised the martyr of Stephen, and was doing his level best to eradicate Christianity in the middle east. People throughout his life judged him on account of his past, but he refused to go back there instead he pressed towards the mark where Jesus called him to be.

       Are you being affected by your past? If so, lay it down. Don't get what I call Lot's wife syndrome, where what was behind was so appealing you couldn't let go and you become a prisoner of it. God wants you to move forward to where He's calling us all to be. Will you heed His calling?

No comments:

Post a Comment