Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Faith

"It's impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him." Hebrews 11:6 (The Message)

Every morning when I wake up to go to work I turn the key to my car and I have faith that it will start. Every morning when I wake up I go to the computer to write my devotional and I have faith that it will turn on. These examples are all demonstrated acts of faith that we really don't think much about. Why? We all have an inherent belief that these things will work because if they didn't then we would go back to whatever store we found it and return it. It's also easy to trust what you can see, but what about what you cannot see?

Jesus said to Thomas after his resurrection, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing." (John 20:29) Thomas had trusted each day that Jesus would be there with all of them until His death. After Jesus' death Thomas didn't believe accounts by others that Jesus was alive and wanted to see with his own eyes and touch with his own hands. Jesus told his disciples that He would return but the despair brought about by his death wiped away all memory from their minds, because they let external circumstances govern their faith.

2 Corinthians 4:18 says, "The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever." Don't only trust the five senses you were given. Trust the unseen, the eternal. How did you end up with the breath of life? How did we end up on a planet so perfectly suited for us? How do we know the wind blows, or why it blows? I don't really know the answer to these questions but I do know that if God cared enough to make this for us then I can at least take a leap of faith in believing who He is...

No comments:

Post a Comment