Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Why we hope

"But I call this to mind, and therefore I have hope: the stedfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning. great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:21-23 (ESV)

     This passage is written from a very dark place. In the previous passages, the writer (Jeremiah) is engrossed in lamenting the failed glory of a once vibrant republic (Israel and Judah). At present, the writer is faced with peril at every turn and even worse a company of his own people clamoring for his life. In his darkest hour, he begins to think about the one thing that has never failed him, his God.

      Fast forward to the present day as I am completely drawn to the fact that though the writer faced perilous times his reason for hope is just as relevant to me. I stop to think for a moment why God does what he does. (don't we all?) One fact is inescapable to me...His faithfulness still is great! I don't know how one argues against that. After all, the sun still rises in the morning, the flowers still bloom in the spring, and the seasons keep changing.

       What's my point? I guess its to say that if the seemingly mundane has a rhythmic resonance to it, that no matter what, it will still come to pass. What is to make me think that I'm going to be left abandoned to the situation that seems bleak around me? As I grow older I understand more what the writer pens, "but I call this to mind, and therefore I have hope." Or as another writer put it, "And if God cares so wonderfully for the wildflowers that are here to day and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you..." (Matthew 6:30) This my friends is why we hope.

-Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment