Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sought and found

"Then you will seek Me, inquire for, and require Me [as a vital necessity] and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13 AMP

    I remember years ago I lost a set of my car keys and I went about the entire house searching for it. The search was so pronounced that I looked in places that I haven't even looked at in years. Unfortunately, my search produced no results and I was left wondering and searching for something that could not be found.

    While I would never liken my search for car keys to a search for God I won't forget the sentiment of loss I experienced looking for what I thought was a vital necessity for my life to function properly. A car was necessary to get me to work, and to places of commerce where I could purchase things that were of importance to me, or even go to places of worship. Though I needed to get around in my car without my key I was completely at a loss, until I was able to replace the key.

     I wonder if sometimes our search for the practical things we believe are of vital importance for us could be diverted to seeking God in the same manner. It's hard to comprehend how one can look for something replaceable with such fervor and not devote that same focus to seeking God. It's truly an indictment on the status of what we elevate as important.

      Each time I lose my way, I stop to reflect on that feeling I had when I looked for those keys, and it helps me recalibrate my focus on what's most important. I start to think about if I lost my connection to God like I loss that key I would be worse off than anything that key would ever provide me. The great thing about God is that He always makes himself available for us. Never once in any passage of scripture can you find where God does not make himself available to those who seek Him. That is a tremendous encouragement and comfort. Makes me want to undergo the search daily, so that I experience the things that are truly vital and necessary for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment