Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fearless

"And do not [for a moment] be frightened or intimidated in anything by your opponents and adversaries, for such [constancy and fearlessness] will be a clear sign (proof and seal) to them of [their impending] destruction, but [a sure token and evidence] of your deliverance and salvation, and that from God.  For you have been granted [the privilege] for Christ's sake not only to believe in (adhere to, rely on, and trust in) Him, but also to suffer in His behalf." Philippians 1:28-29 (Amplified)

        While incarcerated by a dark and depressing jail cell Paul wrote this letter to the Philippians. In this particular passage, he exhorts the people of Philippi to be courageous and stand up to the opponents they are bound to face. To not be afraid but to stand firm in Christ who in the end will deliver them from such opponents. Paul definitely knew what suffering and being afflicted was all about, and was deeply concerned that some people didn't know how to respond to the inevitable.

          It can get a bit depressing sometimes when we're constantly struggling, fighting, and hoping that in the end the best outcome will occur. I know how it is to endure and have people say just a little longer and your breakthrough will happen. The little longer turns into weeks, months, and years. We grow tired and really frustrated with the process, and yearn for a way out, an end to what constantly has hampered us. It's hard to understand that the situation's impending destruction is on its way especially when the impossibility of deliverance grows stronger by the moment. 

           David went through many such seasons in his own life. In Chapter 3 of the Psalms he writes his own declaration in standing against the fierce opposition of his life. "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked." (v.5-7) In David's circumstance, though he was surrounded figuratively by thousands of foes He knew that crying out to God would activate the supernatural power of God to act on his behalf. From time to time we all need an anecdotal reminder that a simple cry for help will go a long way. Lamentations 3:56-57 says, "You heard me when I cried, "Listen to my pleading! Hear my cry for help!" Yes, you came when I called; you told me, "Do not fear."


-Amen

1 comment: