Friday, August 24, 2012

I don't know, but I know

“Stay here with the donkey,” Abraham told the servants. “The boy and I will travel a little farther. We will worship there, and then we will come right back.” Genesis 22:5 (NLT)

       I can't even imagine what was going through Abraham's mind at this point. Its amazing to even fathom the gigantic steps he took in this endeavor. God asked Abraham to take his only son (foreshadowing) to the mountain as a sacrifice. Abraham is well past 100 at this time and he's waited all his life to have a boy like Isaac, and now God is asking for him. I'm sure Abraham's brain was fried.

       What really sticks out to me is what he tells his servants as he and the boy make the venture to the mountain. People say that Abraham had incredible faith and there is no doubt, but I believe that he tells this servant these words almost to even convince himself that He and Isaac will return. As if to say, "I don't know (how) but I know we will return."

         There are times in our lives God is asking the same of us. To do something that seemingly runs counter to every fiber of our being. That we can't possibly fathom how anything good will result from this. We have to be resolute like Abraham knowing that if God brought us to it He most certainly will bring us through it. Where we say, "I don't know, but I know."

No comments:

Post a Comment