Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Heart of Redemption

"When he arrives, he will call together his friends and neighbors, saying, 'Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.' In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others why are righteous and haven't strayed away." Luke 15:6-7 (NLT)

       When I read this passage I look at it from the perspective of a father. Being a dad has really shaped the way I have begun to look and evaluate things in my life. It also helps me understand a little better the way God looks at us.

         Here Jesus uses the portrait of a shepherd to help us understand how God views the unsaved or lost. How if he has 100 sheep and one strays away the shepherd will leave his 99 and go through all hell and high-water to find the lost sheep, and once the sheep is found there is great rejoicing more over the one who was lost than the ones who remained.

          This may seem paradoxical to some that use human reasoning because we tend to favor and reward those who are faithful and loyal and don't stray, but it is interesting that God while happy that you have stayed and remained loyal places a premium of concern and joy to those who are redeemed. I guess it all makes sense now why He will send his Son for our redemption, and why we should feel the same about those who are found. We demonstrate the heart of God by rejoicing with him for those who are found.

No comments:

Post a Comment